Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Array Formula Error

I entered you data into A1:D3 and copied your formula
As expected I Got result #N/A
When I opened the cell with the formula for editing and committed it with
CTR+SHIFT+ENTER I got answer 3 - the correct value. You must use the
three-fingered commit as this is an array formula.

But you get #VALUE! The format of the date cells will have no effect (dates
are stored as serial numbers like 39838 and can be displayed in various
ways) as long as they are real dates. In a blank cell (say G1) enter = A1+1;
do you get 1/2/2009? Test all the dates this way.

Tell what you find
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"CecesWorking" wrote in message
Hello -

I have a data set similar to below

Date Field 1 Field 2 Field 3
1/1/09 x x o
1/5/09 o x x
1/14/09 o o x

I also have an array formula in a separate cell that looks for the row
with
the closest match to today's date and is supposed to return the row number
that is the closest match. The formula is:
=MATCH(MIN(ABS(A1:A29-TODAY())),ABS(A1:A29-TODAY()),0)

I keep getting the following error in the array formula: #VALUE!

Is it because the format of the date in column A? I am not sure what I'm
doing wrong.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and effort.