Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tim m tim m is offline

Default Result from data in two columns....Best function to use?

Thanks for all the responses.

I used Glenns formula and it worked nicely. (Now I have to reverse engineer
it to learn why it worked.) I think I will use this formula rather than the
other methods because I will be using this on ad hoc type of reports rather
than a more permanent report. thus it will be easier to not create a grid
each time I have to make use of it.

Once again, thanks alot Gents!

"Glenn" wrote:

tim m wrote:
Greetings:

In Column A I will have text data that will be "Significant", "Moderate" or
"Minor"
In Column B I will have text data that will be "Imminent", "Likely",
"Unlikely"

In column C depending on the data in A & B I want to display a result that
which will be "High", "Medium" or "Low"

Significant, Imminent = High
Significant, Likely = High
Moderate, Imminent = High
Significant, Unlikely = Medium
Moderate, Likely = Medium
Minor, Imminent = Medium
Moderate, Unlikely = Low
Minor, Likely = Low
Minor, Unlikely = Low

What function would be the best to use here. One could make a ponderous IF
statement but I'm assuming there is a better way and a better function to use.

One possible way:

=CHOOSE(MATCH(A1,{"Minor","Moderate","Significant" },0)
+MATCH(B1,{"Unlikely","Likely","Imminent"},0)
,"Low","Low","Low","Medium","High","High")