Jimbo

I'm counting the number of entries of "4.1", "4.2", "4.10", etc. appear in
the spreadsheet column. When I use COUNTIF it picks-up entries for 4.10 when
I enter "4.1" for example.

Hope this helps and thanks.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

It's not clear what exactly you want to count.

Maybe COUNTA

Biff

"Jimbo" wrote in message
I'm trying to count use of paragraphs and in a spreadsheet there is a
column
with entries of the form 4.1, 4.2, 4.1.1, 4.10, 4.10.1 a), 5.1, 5.10,
5.10.6
and so on, but it seems like the functions I tried (COUNTIF and
SUMPRODUCT,
so far) are not able to differentiate between 4.1 and 4.10. These are all
formatted as text in the spreadsheet. I tried this using a pivot table,
which seems to do the job but I don't want to use one. Any thoughts on
how
this can be done?
Thanks a bunch and best regards,