Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Yr to Yr comparisons

On Jan 26, 8:24 am, copy commad in excel formula
m wrote:
The base year sales is 100 and in the 5th year the
increase is 20% of the base year's sales. How to
calculate the sales in year 1, yr 2, yr 3 and year 4

Technically, you cannot. With the information you provided, you can
only estimate the intermediate years based on the __average__ growth
rate.

m actually looking for the percentage % increase or
decrease not the

The compound average growth rate (CAGR) is:

=rate(5, 0, -1, 1+20%)

assuming that the "base year" is the year before "year 1".

Based on that, estimated sales for each year can be computed by:

=fv(A1, A2, 0, -100)

where A1 is the CAGR, A2 is the year number, and -100 is the base-year
sales.

m wrote:
The base year sales is 100 and in the 5th year the increase is 20% of the
base year's sales. How to calculate the sales in year 1, yr 2, yr 3 and year 4

m actually looking for the percentage % increase or decrease not the

difference which is what I think I received.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=(B1-A1)/A1

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"cisse_5" wrote:

After years of being in a high level tech support position, I transferred to
a Business Analyst position. I forgot the formula used to provide the
percentage increase or decrease this year compared to last year.

2003 * * * * * *2004
1,200,359 * * 2,529,259

What is the percent increase in sales from 2003 to 2004?

A3 = the first figure and cell G3 equals the second sales figure. *I tried
1,200,359/2.529,259 but am not getting the correct percentage or percent
formatting in Excel 2003.- Hide quoted text -