Kim

Default Create Total based on lookup value

I have a spreadsheet that contains a column for the date (e.g. January 1,
2005) of transaction. In a seperate column I have a total dollar figure for
the transaction.

In a seperate sheet, I would like a lookup finding all transactions that
took place in a particular month (e.g. January) with a total dollar figure
for all transactions during that particular month.

I have tested something like - =OFFSET(A16,MATCH("January",A17:A19, 0),1)
but since the date column contains more information than just the month name
(e.g. date and year) - a value isn't returned and I'm not sure how to create
a running total. I did not have any luck trying to incorporate a wildcard
(e.g. '*') but may be using the wrong syntax. Am I using the correct
function or should I be using a VLookup?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!