Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Nelson Sean Nelson is offline

Default Freeze multiple rows/columns in Excel 2007

"robert morris" wrote:
On the top Ribbon, click on Page Layout, then click on Print Titles. All
you need is there.

That only affects printed output, not the screen window.

From another post I discovered the secret: in order to freeze multiple rows
and columns you need to select a BLOCK of cells rather than just one cell.
With a BLOCK of cells selected, the View Tab's "Freeze Panes" drop-down list
offers a "Freeze Panes" option instead of just "Freeze Top Row" and "Freeze
First Column" options.

The weird thing is that once you've discovered this and used it, the "Freeze
Panes" option seems to always be available from that point on, even if you
unfreeze the panes and select only a single cell, and even if you
stop/restart Excel. Looks like some kind of bug to me...