Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jay Jay is offline

Default Wildcard Searches in IF Formulas

I want to count incidences of a text snippet w/in longer strings in a column
of cells. I have tried =COUNTIF(K$1:K$144,"*"&$A148&"*"), where cell A148
contains the text (e.g., A148 = acct mgt) to be counted, but this misses many
occurrences. The formula works fine when I type in the text to be counted
(e.g., COUNTIF(K$1:K$144,"*acct mgt*"), but this does not permit fast
replication of the formula for different text searches. The problem seems to
be that the formula does not allow the double quotes (") on the start and end
of the search criteria. How can I set up the formula to search for text
referenced in another cell? Thx, J