Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Net should be zero but it is not; decimal values aroung the 12

On Jan 21, 7:56*am, Glenn wrote:
There are workarounds to make the total equal exactly
zero in Excel, using the ROUND() function, but that
doesn't solve the problem in Peachtree, does it?

=ROUND(SUM(A1:A20),2)

For my edification, are you saying that that ROUND expression is not
sufficient to permit the OP to upload the results to Peachtree?

If not, why not?

In this particular case, that ROUND expression does indeed result in
exactly zero with the OP's sample of 20 values.

I don't know how Excel worksheets are uploaded to Peachtree, but at a
minimum, I would think that the transfer would use the CSV format; and
if that's the case, I would expect an exact zero would be transfered.

If your point is: more generally, the ROUND(...,2) only results in
the same internal binary representation as if you manually entered the
number with 2 decimal places, so numbers like 34434.55 are never
exactly that, I understand.

But even so, I would think that does not befoul an upload to
Peachtree.

Surely, the upload must be done in such a way that manually entered
numbers with 2 decimal places can be updated to Peachtree without
complaint -- and represented in Peachtree just as if you had entered
those numbers directly to Peachtree. Right?

So since ROUND(...,2) produces the same internal representation as the
manual entry of that number, I would be surprised if that is not
sufficient for the purpose of uploading to Peachtree.

However, admittedly, I am speaking out of school. I am not familiar
with Peachtree per se or with the upload procedure. If you have some
examples where ROUND(...,2) does not solve the upload problem, perhaps
you can share it with us, just for my edification. You've piqued my
curiosity.