Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Juan Juan is offline

Default vlookup not working

Thank you very much! That worked. I didn't think it would make a difference
where the key started. Also, I guess I need to learn more about absolute
references becuase I thought that by adding those, it would return the same
field every time.

Thanks again.

"bapeltzer" wrote:

The big issue is that the table (H1:M7227 in your case) needs to have the key
value you're looking for in the first column. Since you're looking up the
PermID, change the table_range to start in column I. Once you do that, you
also need to change the column_no to 5. Finally, you probably want to use
absolute references for the table. The result:
=VLOOKUP(B2,$I$1:$M$7227,5,FALSE).

"Juan" wrote:

I am trying to do a VLOOKUP so that the FAR column from TABLE 2 gets filled
into the FAR column of TABLE 1. I keep getting the N/A error. I tried sorting
and changing text to numbers and vice versa.

I had them on separate workbooks but now i placed both tables on the same
sheet hoping for a difference. It is a very long list of 6333 names on the
first table and 7227 names on the second table. Below is the formula i used
in cell F2 with a sample of 3.

=VLOOKUP(B2,H1:M7227,6,FALSE)

TABLE 1
A B C D E F
School Perm ID. Last Name First Name Grade FAR
327 1740304 Mouse Mauricio 12 #N/A
302 10009557 Cat Jessica 12 #N/A
302 10011618 Smith Paloma 12 #N/A

TABLE 2
H I J K L M
School Perm ID. Last Name First Name Grade FAR
327 1740304 Mouse Mauricio 12 N
302 10009557 Cat Jessica 12 N
302 10011597 Smith Robert 12 Y