Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Sorting Starting at Second Character

Note: when you are sorting you will be asked what to do with text that look
like numbers.

Select treat as numbers.

Gord

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:51:33 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

In an adjacent column =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

Double-click on the cell to fill down.

Sort on that column.

If happy, delete the column.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:54:32 -0800 (PST), jlclyde
wrote:

I think the Subject says it all. I have a list of items and they
start with M. So they read M1, M2, M3 ...Etc. When you sort this it
puts all the M1s together, like M1, M10, M100. Is there a way in
excel to have it skip the first character and sort by just the
numbers? If there is not, then I will have to split it into seperate
columns, sort, and then put them back together.

Thanks,
Jay