Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Referencing closed file

You may only have one "column" per line/row this time, but how would excel know
that that's the rule to use for everyone and for everytime?

So why not just create a normal excel file?

TheErick wrote:
<<snipped
It doesn't need to know what "cell" it is in (not there are are truly
cells in a text file) as the file is very simple. To envision it, it
would be the same type of thing as having a spreadsheet with data only
in A1 to A100 (nothing in any other columns). So, back to your
question...it doesn't need to know if it's comma separated or how to
pull from cell X17, for example.

Here is what I'm considering doing: I think I will create a cell
(using INDIRECT) with the name of the file in it and make it hot
linkable. Then, all the user would have to do is click on the link to
open the file and that would then allow the reference to work.

--

Dave Peterson