Dave Peterson

I don't own xl2003, but if you do File|saveas, do you see an option for "XML
Spreadsheet *.XML" in the save as type box at the bottom of the dialog?

If that didn't help, maybe opening the workbook in OpenOffice and saving there
would clean it up enough for excel to accept it.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services (costs
money!). I've never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

Doug wrote:

I only have a cd of excel 2003 (ms office 2003). How do I obtain a copy of
excel 2002 to try that? I cant spend money on this.

"Stephen Bullen" wrote:

Hi Doug,

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I get the
following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers the file
(sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have tried this on
two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results. NOTE: Excel 2000
opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and reinstalled. No
luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Sounds like a corrupted file. Try opening it in Excel 2002, saving as XML (with
a different name) and reopening it, then copy across the charts, VBProject etc
that saving as XML strips out.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel