Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartin smartin is offline

Default putting peoples' ages in age groups...?

sherry wrote:
Hi - I have a very long list of peoples' ages from about 22 - 70 yrs. old. I
need to put them into 5 different groups.
<30, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+

I don't mind using more than one formula but I can't figure out how to write
it so if I highlight those cells of numbers they will grouped into those age
groups. I kind of would like to see the age group that the person falls into
maybe in the column next to their age so I can still see my original data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.

Hi sherry,

In a new worksheet (say, Sheet2) create a table like this using columns
A and B:

0 <30
30 30-39
40 40-49
50 50-59
60 60+

Then, if your list of people's ages is in Sheet1 column A, place this
formula in B1 and fill down:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,TRUE)