Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duardo Duardo is offline

Default Apostrofe in cell by default

Thanks for this.

I had checked this tab already, and nothing is set here, same a my Excel
(without this problem).
Nothing is formatted, this is default as you start up (his) Excel. Cell
format is General. All cells have the apostrofe. Dates are effected, not
recognised as dates, but text.

Could this be the result of a macro (used in other files) There are no
macro's in his file.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Are you sure that the cells are not formatted as text? It sure sounds like they
are.

There's a setting in excel that allows you to see this apostrophe
prefixcharacter:
Tools|Options|Transition Tab|Uncheck "Transition Navigation keys"
to turn it off.

But this won't affect numbers or dates. But cells formatted as Text will have
this problem with numbers/dates.

Duardo wrote:

In my colleagues Excel (2000), when you enter text or numbers in a Cell, an
apostrofe appears in front of the data in the cell by default.
Restarting Excel does not help.
As Excel considers this to be text, we run into problems with dates etc.
Any idea what causes this?

--

Dave Peterson