Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Decimal numbers in Excel

Yes, 24 would be 24 days, but when you divide the integer hours (or
their analogue, degrees, in this case), you get a value that XL can
interpret as a time.

24/24 = 1.0 = 24:00 (midnight)

and

12/24 = 0.5 = 12:00 noon.

Your data was in the form 27.286. Since degrees are divisible into
minutes and seconds the same way hours are, you can divide that by 24 to
get 27.386/24-th of a day. You can then tell XL to display it as
[h]:mm:ss, or pass the value on to MINUTE(), SECOND(), etc.

In article ,
Doc wrote:

Sorry JE, but I still don't follow. If .5 is noon and .75 equals 6:00 pm,
wouldn't that mean that 24 would be 24 days??

Doc

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

XL stores times as fractional days, so 12:00 noon =0.5, 6:00 pm = 0.75,
etc.

In article ,
Doc wrote:

I'm curious though, where did you come up with the "24" for the divisor??