Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
doc doc is offline

Default Decimal numbers in Excel

It worked GREAT.
Thanks for your help.

Doc

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

A1: 27.286

if you're interested in numbers:

B1: =INT(A1) -- 27
C1: =MINUTE(A1/24) -- 17
D1: =SECOND(A1/24) -- 10

or if you're just interested in display:

B1: TEXT(A1/24,"[hh]°") -- 27°
C1: =MID(TEXT(A1/24,"h:mm'"),3,3) -- 17'
D1: =TEXT(A1/24,"ss\""") -- 10"

In article ,
Doc wrote:

Is there a way to separate and use the numbers, to the left of and to the
right of the decimal point in a single cell?
I am trying to convert angles given in decimal form (i.e. 27.286°), to the
older form of degrees, minutes and seconds (i.e. 27°17â10â), then store the
degrees in one cell, the minutes in another cell, and the seconds in a third.
I can make it work the OTHER way with multiplication and addition, because
that doesnât require the SEPARATION of a number.