Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pete5440 pete5440 is offline

Default Sort Dates

Mike, First of all I'm not familiar with a "Helper Column". But will this
formula "fix" my issue, and will I have to keep the helper column and use it
to sort my date column from here on?

Gord,

If my numbers are "text" why are my sort options "Oldest to Newest" and not
"A-Z"? This sounds like the simpler method but how do I let excel know this
is (supposed to be) text?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If no year associated, those are not dates but simply numbers entered as
text.

Will sort as text only.

A real Excel date is a serial number and sorts in that serial number order.

January 16, 2008 is serial number 39829

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:38:02 -0800, pete5440
wrote:

I have a worksheet with one column being dates in the format of 3/2, 4/25,
12/10, etc. As I added dates I could always sort from lowest (1/1) to highest
(12/31). Now I can't seem to sort any dates that have been added in 2009. I
do not have a year attached to these dates as they are birthdays and I need
to sort by month/day regardless of year. Why all of a sudden the problem and
how do I fix?