Doug

This file has seen many "versions" as its improved. the "old" ones can be
opened in 2000 and 2003 only lately the newer versions can still only be
opened in 2000, not 2003.

If it can still be opened in excel 2000 - how do we "find" this corruption?
Excel itself didnt really give a good clues....

"Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel
attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been
lost or corrupted."

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
does this happen with all files or only a single one. If the latter: sounds
like a corrupted file for me

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Doug wrote:
Ok - Im going crazy with this one.

When I open an Excel 2000 file in my Windows XP (sp2) Excel 2003 I
get the following....

"Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience" which then generally butchers
the file (sometimes does almost ok in trying to "repair" it). I have
tried this on two separate computers with Excel 2003 - same results.
NOTE: Excel 2000 opens it perfectly on third pc.

I have virus scanned, ad-awared, uninstalled Excel 2003 and
reinstalled. No luck. Sample file is available at
http://step.polymtl.ca/~ritz/charsheet/cs.htm then click download.

Suggestions??