Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Angela in Virginia Angela in Virginia is offline

Default How do I remove the last 4 characters within a cell

Since there are different lengths, I would use Ctrl+H
replace: .jpg
with: (leave this blank)
Replace All

"Problem poser" wrote:

I have copied hundreds of .jpg file names, using DOS, to copy them into a
listing within a worksheet. As a substantial amount are numeric with a file
extension I would like to split the cells to remove file extension to give me
a numeric result.

i.e.
"123.jpg" into a numeric "123" or "Many files.jpg" into "Many files"

The file names are variable in size and are either numeric or just characters
Thank you