Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Indirect Sum

You didn't actually ask a question, but I think this is what you want:

=SUM(INDIRECT(A9&":"&A10))

However, if your sum ranges vary because you have different amounts of
data for some other criteria, you might be able to use SUMIF over your
complete range W1:W50. Perhaps you can explain why your ranges have
different lengths on different sheets?

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 15, 3:09*pm, Joe L. wrote:
I have several worksheets where I want to sum various portion of a column of
numbers (Columns W1 thru W50). On each worksheet I have dozens of "summing'
formulas, each summing various portions of Column W: e.g. - W1:W6; W7:W14;
W15:W24; W25:W35; W36:W50. Each of the several worksheets has the same
general format of summing formulas EXCEPT the portions of the columns summed
change from worksheet to worksheet. For example, worksheet 1 might sum W1:W6
while worksheet 2 sums W1:W9 and worksheet 3 sums W1:W15, etc.
What I'm trying to do is to Indirectly reference the formulas by creating on
each worksheet a table which indirectly specifies which cells to sum. For
example on worksheet 1, the formula W1:W6 will actually specified by INDIRECT
A9:A10. The data in B9 will specify "W1", and the data in "B10" will specify
"W6". This way, I can use the same setup on every worksheet and just change
the data in column B whenever I want to vary the columns summed.