Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default FUNCTIONS aren't working like before

You've probably formatted A1:A2 as Text, so XL's parser doesn't try to
interpret the formula.

Format the cells as General, and re-enter.

Alternatively, you could have inadvertently typed CTRL-` (on the same
key as the tilde), which toggles the Formulas window Option. Type it
again to see the result of the formula.

In article ,
DogmaDot wrote:

"DogmaDot" wrote:

I am attempting to use some text functions in a file. They are not working
like they do in another file. Could I have inadvertently flipped some sort
of a switch in this one file?

I am trying to edit text fields in a .csv file I got via email. I open the
attachment with notepad, save it as a .csv file. I am trying to use the find
function like
Column A
Column B
Row 1 =FIND(" %",B1,1) 2008ApJ%677%37O

Row 2 =text(B2,"000") 2 (a number)

When I type the FIND in the cell then enter, the cell still has the function
in it. Same for the TEXT function.

However when I try the same things in another file the result is fine.
This file was also a .csv file

B C
D (COLS)
Row EXAMPLE RESULT Function
=TEXT(B1,"000")
2 GI4_043001_GW_Lib 4 =FIND("_",B2,1)

Hope you can understand my rather primative attempt to depict a worksheet.

Dot