Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jennifer V. Jennifer V. is offline

Default Formatting Text in cells that already have text entered

aa1234
bb1234
cc4321
dd0987
mj5830

It needs to have a space or a symbol between the 2 letters and the 4 numbers.

Thanks!

"Glenn" wrote:

Jennifer V. wrote:
I have approx several thousand cells all with the same info, let's say SSNs.
They are in the cell as 123456789. I need to format all cells in this column
with the format 123-45-6789. Obviously, I'm not using SSNs, but I'm using
characters that I need formatted into abcde-12345-fg. Is there a way to
custom format these so that it applies to all of these cells instead of me
altering each one by hand???

Thanks,

Jennifer

Could you just list a couple examples of how your real data is currently entered
and then show how you want it formatted?