Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto Ranking a 2x2 table with equal values

Luke,

Your use of LARGE has the same limitations as the RANK approach when dealing with ties.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Luke M" wrote in message
In column C
=LARGE($B$1:$B$5,ROW())

Copy down as far as you want. FYI, if you want to sort the other way, use
SMALL function.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"LiAD" wrote:

Afternoon,

I have data such which i would like to rank and then order the ranked data
in highest to lowest, all automatically so it re-orders when data changes.

My technique so far was maybe slightly complicated

Example of data in col A and B

a 1
b 2
c 3
d 4
e 1

I then use =RANK(B1;$B$1:$B$5) and will it ouput in col C (written left to
right instead of top to bottom), 4,3,2,1,4

In col D I put the order of the data I want, highest at the top so it reads
top to bottom 1,2,3,4,5

In col E I use =INDEX($B$1:$B$5;MATCH(D1;$C$1:$C$5;0)) so that excel finds
the number from col B that is associated with the highest ranked position.
Excel will return 4,3,2,1,n/a

How can I avoid the n/a problem when I have more than one set of data of
equal ranking but keep it automatic?

Any ideas?