Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to pull first word from text string in a column

It makes sure the FIND function has something to find, hence no error
checking is needed. Also, as an aside, the LEFT function will return the
correct value even if you specify a length larger than the length of the
string you are applying the LEFT function to... so, when there no space in
A1, this FIND function will return a value one greater than the length of
the text in A1 and the LEFT function will just return the entire text
string.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"CrisT" wrote in message
May I ask, what does the '&" "' do? Thanks for your help too!

"T. Valko" wrote:

You may want to add some error handling

Another way:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

You may want to add some error handling if there isn't always more than
one word.
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",A2)-1),LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),A2)
--
David Biddulph

"CrisT" wrote in message
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a formula. I have a
column in
a spreadsheet that has the following types of text (for example):

Subaru WRX
Subaru STI
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Grand Cherokee

What I am looking for is a formula to pull the first word from the
column
and put it in another column, say column T.

Thank you in advance!