Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default sort and filter

I suspect those "numbers" are actually text values, so they are being sorted
in a different way than based on the numerical value, rather like b, ba,
baa, baaa, ejb, d (though I don't know why your "3" comes after "491".

You could insert leading zeroes in front of the number (still as text), or
convert the values to actual numbers, if you want a numeric sort.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"JoAnn" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a coworker who did a filter on her spreadsheet (so the blanks were
not visable) and then did a sort ascending by the sequence number. What
she
got was a sort that was like this: 1, 10,100,1000, 491, 3, and so on.
What
the heck is going on?!?