Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Simple way to change text dates to numerical?-I found a way

Thanks for feeding back, Kathy - it's always useful to find out how a
problem has been solved.

However, it looks like you did not have commas in your original dates
(unlike your posted example), and if contributors had known this they
could have suggested appropriate formulae to get the dates recognised,
rather than having to apply your Find & Replace method ten times.

Pete

On Jan 7, 10:45*pm, Kathy wrote:
Thank all of you who gave me advice. I couldn't get any of those options to
work but found a way and thought I'd share it in case someone else has this
problem. I select the column then Edit/Replace. Once the replace thing is up
I type in 1spacebar in the first line and then 1,spacebra in the second line.
When I say spacebar I mean I press the spacebar. This covers all the dates
ending with 1 such as Dec 1 2007. Then I type in 2spacebar and 2,spacebar and
that converts the dates ending with 2 such as Dec 2 2007 and so forth. This
is the only thing that worked with the data I have. Perhaps it will help you
some time as well.

"Kathy" wrote:
I am working on a huge Excel 2003 workbook with many worksheets. Initially I
am downloading the data from another database into Excel. All the dates
(thousands of them) are written like Dec 3, 2007. I want to change them to be
like 12/3/07 but I don't want to have to type it all in manually if I don't
have to. If I go to format and go to date it seems you can select that format
but it doesn't change what is already in the downloaded data. Is there a
simple way to do this? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -