Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jennifer Jennifer is offline

Default Excel to Database

How would I do it with Excel?

The point of doing a database is to automate the monthly process of summing
the numbers. The sheet contains about 40 columns and 50 rows. I tried
adding between worksheets and I would have to do each individual cell (I
can't drag and auto change the formula) because it creates a "circular
reference". Plus I also need to watch out for new customers and new
resources.

Jennifer

"Daniel.C" wrote:

I don't understand why you need a database. Can't you do it with Excel
?
Regards.
Daniel

I have a project that has me stumped as to where to even go. My boss makes
excel sheets monthly displaying customers and costs for each resource.

Customer Resource1 Resource2 ..etc
1 $200 $300
2 $40 $900

She wants to be able to take all the months that she has made in a given
year and sum the respective costs so that she can put it in a different
worksheet to create a sort of true-up. The worksheet she puts the sums in
looks exactly like the orignal worksheet.

I originally started with Access and made a sort of database with all of the
costs but getting the SUM worksheet to look like the oringal worksheet kept
screwing up Access and eventually I got a file too big error (or something to
that effect).

So I'm currently trying to use SQL but I'm not sure how:
1. To have a form upload the excel file into the database
2. To even get the sums of each resource for each customer
3. To get the format to look like the excel sheet
4. To export back to an excel file

So I thought maybe SQL isn't the right route.

I know this is slightly confusing but any help is greatly appreciated.

I have fair knowledge of Access, SQL, and Visual Basic.