Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Conditional PRODUCT or SUM

Hi,

Assume that the data below is in range C5:D6. In cell E5, enter the
following formula and copy down =IF(CELL("format",D5)="P0",C5*(1-D5),C5-D5)

PRICE DISCOUNT
$50.00 *.1
$50.00 -10

Hope this helps.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Kevin H." <Kevin wrote in message
I'm not sure this is possible or if I'm even going about it the right
way...
but I'd like to know if there is a function (or combination of functions)
that I could insert into the DISCOUNTED PRICE column to determine whether
multiply or subtract the DISCOUNT from the PRICE, depending on what is
entered in the DISCOUNT column. Some discounts are a percentage and some
are
dollars off, so I need the spreadsheet to be capable of knowing which type
of
discount is entered to return the correct DISCOUNTED PRICE result.

PRICE DISCOUNT DISCOUNTED PRICE
$50.00 *.1
$50.00 -10

I could also set it up with columns differentiating between a percentage
discount and a "dollars off" discount, but how do I set up a DISCOUNTED
PRICE
function that would know which column has data in it and whether to
multiply
or subtract the data?

PRICE % OFF $ OFF DISCOUNTED PRICE
$50.00 10%
$50.00 $10.00

Am I making this more complicated than it has to be?