Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Compare two columns for typos

Another method is to use Data Validation. This will allow your user to
either type the value in or pick it from a list (their choice) and will
signal a customizable error message if a bad value is entered. Select Column
B and then select Data/Validation from Excel's menu bar; select the Settings
tab on the dialog box that appears; select "List" from the "Allow" drop down
box, then put this in the "Source" field....

=$A$1:$A$123

changing the start and end cell for the range to match the cell range for
your master parts list (but retain the absolute cell references). While you
are there, you can also customize the error message by clicking the "Error
Alert" tab on the dialog box. OK your way back to the worksheet. Click in
any cell in Column B and either type a value or click the drop down arrow to
pick the value from the list that appears. (Also try typing in a bad value
to see the error message handling.)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Patti Backman" <Patti wrote in message
Hello,
I have two columns of data. The first (column A) is a master part list
that
has no typos, the second (column B) is a part list of parts stored at my
off
site storage facility. These part #'s are typed in manualy and sometimes
contain typos that mean we can not find the parts when we need them. How
do
I ask the question: Are there any part numbers in column B that do not
match
a part number in column A? This would highlight a typo for us.
Thank you in advance.