Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Using Excel to calculate future dates with various intervals

Ok....

For months or years:

=EDATE(start_date,n)

Where n = number of months. Express years in months: 1 year =12 months, 3
years = 36 months.

The EDATE function requires the Analysis ToolPak add-in be installed for
Excel versions prior to Excel 2007. If you enter the formula and get a
#NAME? error look in Excel help for the EDATE function and it'll tell you
how to install the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"MH" wrote in message
Hi T. Valko,

For your examples, I would want it to end 1 calendar month or year later,
regardless of the odd number of days (i.e. 2/29/09 would end one month
later
2/29/09 or one year later 2/29/10. If this exceeds the number of days in
the
month it would fall on, then I would need it to fall on the last day of
that
month, say 2/28/09.

What is the proper method to calculate these days if this is the case?
Thanks.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Let's assume your start date is 2/29/2008 and you want the future date in
12
months (1 year). What result do you expext?

Start date is 1/31/2009 and you want the future date in 1 month. What
result
do you expect?

The future dates for the weeks is pretty straightforward:

1 week: =start_date+7
2 weeks: =start_date+14

For the months and years, well, you have to think about those for a
minute
and decide what the correct end date should be because months and years
don't have the same number of days in them!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"MH" wrote in message
I need to build a calendar, where I have a given start date. From this
start date, I need to capture future predicted dates, based on various
intervals. How do I do this?

Example:
Start Date: 1/1/09
Future Date intervals: 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 12 months,
18
months, 2 years

Thanks for your help with this.

MH