Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roady Roady is offline

Default Insert symbol after drop-down is made

Great, thanks, Pete! So it sounds like I would then build that CHAR number
into the formulas for returning the appropriate character- yes?

How can I get a list of all the Wingdings and their corresponding character
numbers?

Thanks!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

What you can do is return a character which has the symbol you want in
a sybol font, like Wingdings. For example, CHAR(234) is a bolded down
arrow in Wingdings, CHAR(251) is a cross, and CHAR(252) is a tick. So,
the cell is formatted using Wingdings, and the formula returns the
appropriate character.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 2, 5:02 pm, Roady wrote:
I have three columns for product approval. In each one, you can select either
'Approved', 'Rejected', or 'Dropped'. For example, sometimes a product will
be rejected in the first column and then approved on the second attempt, so
then the 2nd column will show as 'Approved'.

I want to be able then have it auto-insert a symbol based on the selection
chosen the most recent approval column as follows:
Approved - check mark
Rejected- big 'X'
Dropped- down arrow
Note: if the approval column has no entries in it, I would like the cell to
be blank (no symbol)

Is there a way to do this? Does Excel work with symbols in this way?
Thanks!