Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Search an alphanumeric in a column and return true/false

Hi,

In cell S10, use the following formula and then copy down:

=if(countif(B10:B20,C3)0,"True","False")

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"2226" wrote in message
Thank u Max,
I have tried ur logic but it is not working, all results are "not found".
Let me explain once again my prob, in one cell I have an input say "C3"
(say
cell no. A10), I need to check whethere that is present in a column(say
cell
no. B10 to B20), if it is present then it should return true or else it
should return false. For this I need to write a function in the cell say
"cell no. S10"

"Max" wrote:

One equivalent way

Assume the base list is in col A
Assume your own list is in B2 down

Put in C2: =IF(B2="","",IF(COUNTIF(A:A,B2)0,"Present","Not found"))
Copy C2 down to the last row of data in col B

Col C will return:
Present for items in col B found in col A
Not found for items in col B not found in col A

You could then easily apply autofilter on col C to filter out as desired
--
Max
Singapore
"2226" wrote:
I am having some revision numbers say c1, c2,c3,c4.... I want to know
how to
make a search in column that contains C1 to C100 randomly (may be some
missing) and return true if that is present and false if it is not.