Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheeloo[_3_] Sheeloo[_3_] is offline

Default How to stop the auto-format of dates?

Enter ' and then enter 1/08
or format the cell as text first and then enter 1/08

" wrote:

Hi,

first of all, I am an absolute excel novice and never used it until
today, so, forgive me if my question is stupid (for an
experiencedExcel user)

OK, the problem is simple, I want to insert the following value into a
cell: 1/08 . But excel changes it always into a date. It becomes "01
Aug", and if I double click on it, it becomes "01.08.2009". How to
stop this auto-correction?

My "1/08" is not a date, but a transaction number, so a auto
transformation of that value is not wanted.

I am using Excel 2007