Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob I Bob I is offline

Default Losing date format when saving .csv files

Hi Gord,

He's not creating it in Excel.

"I am exporting accounting data out of legacy database into .csv
file format."

Gord Dibben wrote:

One method.

In a helper column enter =TEXT(Cellref,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Copy down.

Copy the helper column, select the original dates column and Paste
SpecialValuesOKEsc

Delete the helper column.

Save As *.csv

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:47:01 -0800, Harley
wrote:

I am exporting accounting data out of legacy database into .csv file format.
The text data is not delimited, so I use Text to Columns and set the date
fields to Text (from General). The date formats retain formatting (in my
case, mm/dd/yyyy). I save the file as a .csv. When I reopen the file, I
lose the date formatting. The date fields revert to m/d/yyyy.

I have to use .csv file in order to upload to a 3rd party.

What can I do to retain the mm/dd/yyyy format when saving as a .csv file?