Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TrainingGuru TrainingGuru is offline

Default Count the times a value appears in a column based on another v

Thank you, Pete. That did the trick. I tried to use SUMPRODUCT and even a
form of an array before but wasn't successful. I don't yet understand how
this function works. I will need to do more research. Can you suggest a
resource? Your response saved the day (actually saved my week!). Thank you
again.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(('List of Reviews'!B1:B1000="Web")*('List of Reviews'!
D1:D1000=1))

Adjust the ranges to suit your data, but you can't use full-column
references (unless you are using XL2007, in which case you could
probably use COUNTIFS).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 31, 12:45 am, TrainingGuru
wrote:
I am using the following formula to count the number of times "Web" appears
in column B based on "1" being in column D:

=IF('List of Reviews'!B:B="Web",COUNTIF('List of Reviews'!D:D,1),0)

I continue to get a #NUM! error for the logical test in the IF statement
even when the formula is reversed and I try to count the number of times
"Web" appears for every row which contains a "1" in column D. What is wrong
with the formula? Is there another function that will return the correct
result? Just a note: The COUNTIF function works each time to find the right
value for the criteria entered. Help needed quickly! Thanks.