Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mkcma via OfficeKB.com mkcma via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Vlookup won't work

I finally made vLookup work!!

Thank you all for our suggestions. I think I tried some, but maybe didn't
get it right or copy it correctly.

Regardly, my simple solution was: =LEFT(A2,7)
I copied this down, and changed it for those that were 5, 6 or 8 numerals.
Then I copied/paste special 'values' into another column.
This was the column I used for vLookup, which actually brought me the
matching prices!!!

Thanks again.
mk

Gord Dibben wrote:
You may think the format is General, but if it were the leading 0 in 022137
would be dropped by Excel.

Your "number" is being treated by Excel as text.

I think you have non-breaking spaces which you cannot see or get rid of by
Trim or Clean.

See Ron's post about character 160 removal.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

0221737Â*
this is an example on one sheet that is 7 visible numbers (format is back to

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]

--ron