Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Vlookup won't work

You may think the format is General, but if it were the leading 0 in 022137
would be dropped by Excel.

Your "number" is being treated by Excel as text.

I think you have non-breaking spaces which you cannot see or get rid of by
Trim or Clean.

See Ron's post about character 160 removal.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:33:27 GMT, "mkcma via OfficeKB.com" <u48424@uwe
wrote:

0221737*
this is an example on one sheet that is 7 visible numbers (format is back to
'general; at this point).

I did =Clean and have tried =Trim. The =LEN(-) Still counts 8. Do I have to
re-type each and every part number?
mk
(tks for everyone's patience)

xlmate wrote:
Use the Trim or CLEAN function to clear unwanted characters,
eg.
=TRIM(your data) or =CLEAN(your data)

Look at Help, there's some examples

HTH

Pls click the Yes button if this help.

cheers, francis

I did a length count and one set has 8, the others have 7 - and 10 vs 9 etc.

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

--ron