Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Shane Devenshire Shane Devenshire is offline

Default Sort data in a file

Hi,

You really need to give us more info. For example 1. which columns control
the sort order, 2. What type of data is in those columns - number or text or
dates, 3. is the data in the sort controlling column(s) unique or can there
be repeats?

You could try something like this

=INDEX(M,MATCH(ROW(C1),COUNTIF(M,"<="&M),0))

In this case I have named a single column that you want sorted M, suppose
that was A1:A100 on another sheet. You can fancy up this formula to handle
each of the columns in the data area by assigning M for the sort column and
N for the entire range, then the formula would read

=,INDEX(N,MATCH(ROW(C1),COUNTIF(M,"<="&M),0))

and you would change the last 0 to 1, 2, 3, ... to indicate the column of
the range N that you are returning.

This formula does not handle duplicates in the sort range.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Mike" wrote in message
I have created a worksheet that is generated by formulas which bring in
the
data from other sheets. I am unable to sort the data and I beleive it is
because of the formulas.
I copied the data to another worksheet with out the formulas and I am able
to sort but I can't be doing that.

what can I do?