Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Copying Web Tables To Spreadsheets

This appears to be a bit more difficult but DOABLE. If desired, send me your
workbook along with before/after example. Send to the addy below.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"jaygreg" wrote in message
I'm trying to copy a table from a website to an Excel 2003 spreadsheet so
that the results are listed in a single line for each nursing home listed.
When I initially attempted this, I copied the table including the first
column for the check boxes. The transfer appeared to go well but before I
could examine it in depth, I chose to delete that first column of check
boxes. Then I decided that the best way to clean up the results would be
to copy a page at a time then just position my cursor at the appropriate
place at each Paste operation. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get a
copy of anything other than in the first column; everything is flowing
into the first Excel column.

I've toyed with the "Text To Column" feature but to no avail. If someone
would be kind enough to look at this State of Ohio website on nursing hoe
ratings, sort it by "Overall Rating" in the top right corner, then tell me
how to copy it to a spreadsheet, I'd appreciate it very much. URLs to the
site:

Step 1:
http://www.medicare.gov/

Step 2: Click "NEW! New Nursing Home Five-Star Quality Rating"

Step 3 Click "Go To The Nursing Home Compare page"

Step 4 Click "Find and Compare Nursing Homes"

Step 5 Select "Find a Nursing Home within a County" for "Ohio - Eastern"

Step 6 Select "Summit" as the county

Step 7 Sort the results by "Overall Rating"

The objective is to get those results onto a spreadsheet that devotes one
line to each nursing home.