Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] is offline

Default Sort data in a file

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:21:01 -0800, Mike
wrote:

The column headings start in column A thru column BA. The data is in the
rows under the headings. Currently about 100. Formulas are in the entire
sheet which bring the data in from another sheet..
I have set the headings, which are in row 5 column A through BA to sort the
rows but I think the fomulas prevent the sort.

That answers most of my questions, but not the one about on which
column you want to have the data sorted by. I thus assume that you
want the data sorted by column A (only).

Here is one way of doing it:

On yet another sheet (which I call Sheet2), insert the same headings
on row 5 that you have on the first sheet (which I assume is named
Sheet1).

Now in cell A6 of Sheet2 you may try the following formula:

=INDEX(Sheet1!A$6:A$100,MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$A$6:$A $100,ROW()-ROW(A$5)),Sheet1!$A$6:$A$100,0))

Note that there are no $ before A's in the first range, but in the
other two ranges. If you want to sort by another column than column A,
change the later two ranges accordingly but not the first one.

Copy across columns A thru BA and then copy down for as many rows as
there are data. Change the '100' in three places to fit the number of
data rows, i.e. rows with formulas on Sheet1, that you have.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke