Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Vlookup won't work

If you are receiving #N/A as a result when you use FALSE as the fourth
parament, but not when you use TRUE, then the problem them is your data.

First, don't worry about the format of your data. Format affects only how
the data looks, not its underlying values. Vlookup, as with virtually all
Excel functions, ignores the cell's format.
Second, formatting a cell as Text *after* you have entered data, has no
effect. If you want to force a cell to be text, you must format the cell
*before* data is entered.
Regardless, formatting isn't your problem. Your data is. Look for stuff
which makes no difference to us humans, but does to a computer, like
trailing spaces, or non-printing characters (especially char(160)).

Regards,
Fred.

"mkcma via OfficeKB.com" <u48424@uwe wrote in message
I know there are matching part numbers, and all of the formulas pasted down
show N/A. When I don't attach the last value in the formula as 'false' it
brings the closest matching part number, so I know a formula can work.

My data layout is:
Sheet 1 - Column A: Part #
Column B: Description
Column C: 5 Yr Warr USA
Column D: 5 Yr Warr CDN (this was a formula of column C -
converted it
to paste special and it is now a valule.

Sheet 2 - Column C: Part #
Column D: Description
Column I: Cdn Price (This sheet downloaded from a
program
called ERA)

On Sheet One I have put a formula as follows
=VLOOKUP(A1,Cdn!C:I,6,FALSE)

E McGimpsey wrote:
It again didn't work???

Can you be a bit more specific about what "didn't work" means?

Did you get an error message? and error value? incorrect values? a crash?

What was your exact formula and data layout?