Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default removing text characters from a cell

If the number you want **ALWAYS** follows an equal sign...

=LOOKUP(9.9E+307,--LEFT(MID(A1,FIND("=",A1)+1,99),ROW($1:$99)))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"volleygods" wrote in message
I guess "text" is not the correct word. I need to remove the alpha
characters and leave the numeric characters. I get a spread sheet report
that has a column with cells in the various formats like drum=245KG and I
need to multiply the 245 by another number so i need to remove the drum=KG
part to be left with just the number. There are roughly 1000 lines in the
sheet so manually doing this is out of the question.
Ex. drum=245KG goes to 245
pail=19KG goes to 19
case=12KG goes to 12

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

Please elaborate - if you want to clear all cells containing text use F5,
Special, Constant, Text.

In a cell containing "asderf" you could use a formula like

=IF(ISTEXT(A1),"",A1)

If a cell contains qwe345 then technically 345 is text!

Give us a few examples.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"volleygods" wrote:

I need to find an easy function or macro to remove all text characters
from a
cell.
EX. Pail=19KG converts to 19