Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
se7098 se7098 is offline

Default vlookup and multiple ifs

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OM G!OMG!

I DID IT!!!

Well with signficiant eversomuchappreciated help from you!

this is the most awesome thing ever!

I still can't believe it actually worked and that i was able to actually
troubleshoot a few things on my own...i present this to my boss tomorrow.

i cannot possibly tell you how much i appreciate your help with
this...honestly, i never thought any of it would ever work but it does and it
is beautiful!

thanks SO VERY MUCH again for your help! you are THE BEST!!!

"smartin" wrote:

smartin wrote:
se7098 wrote:
Thanks again for your help...you are correct in that these formulas
are WAY over my head...but i love this stuff and am determined to
learn it. :) so i REALLY appreciate your help and patience. the 1st
formula is working. however the remainder are not. Below is my
version of formula 2:

=MATCH(B380,OFFSET(INDIRECT("[In Process Reqs.xls]Summary by City and
Step'!$B:$B"&BV380),0,2,999),0)-1

b380=title of position
in process reqs=my data sheet
bv380=value of my first formula

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help!

LOL I knew I should not have deleted the test worksheet I built for this
project!

So, on the fly, I think you could try this:

=MATCH(B380,OFFSET(INDIRECT("'[In Process Reqs.xls]Summary by City and
Step'!B"&BV380),0,2,999),0)-1

Two issues to note:
Missing tick mark ' in front of external workbook reference

Do not reference the whole column $B:$B in the INDIRECT function. If you
look at how we are using INDIRECT, we are building up a string that will
serve as a cell reference. E.g., if BV380 has the value 10, then

INDIRECT("'[In Process Reqs.xls]Summary by City and Step'!B"&BV380)

becomes

Whoops! I got off track here.

INDIRECT('[In Process Reqs.xls]Summary by City and Step'!B10)

which boils down to the range

'[In Process Reqs.xls]Summary by City and Step'!B10

.... just a simple reference! The beauty of it is we can change the
row (or column) by inserting other formulas and wrapping it with INDIRECT.

Sorry for the confusion.