Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave_in_gva Dave_in_gva is offline

Default Summing on year and text conditions

I have a worksheet with date a bottle of wine is drunk (formatted as
yyyy-mm-dd) and another column indicating whether the wine was Red or White
(White exists as White, or White - Sweet Dessert, so the string "Whit*"
captures all White).

I want a count of total reds, whites, and overall total bottles consumed by
year but do not see how to get this yet. For graphing purposes I would like
these three totals to appear as rows under column headings corresponding to
each year and beginning 2007 and going out to 2040. The base worksheet is
automatically refreshed from an internet based source, so it would be nice to
have a formula that works today and throughout the future.

In case the above is not clear, imagine I have:

Consumed Type
2007-06-23 White
2007-09-17 Red
2008-01-17 Red