Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fredgus Fredgus is offline

Default Combining Cells

That get's close - but I probably did not accuratey describe the data set.
There are about 150 names. There are anywhere from 2 to 8 names for each
number. here's a more accurate example.

bob 1
dave 1
stan 1
george 1
alan 2
mindy 2
sally 3
lucy 3
fred 3
ralph 3
herb 3

needs to become

bob, dave, stan, george 1
alan, mindy 2
sally, lucy, fred, ralph, herb 3

the numbers do not need to be combine with the names, they remain a separate
column and really don't need to be messed with.

"stew" wrote:

Assuming Data starts A1 and B1 Put this in C1, copy and paste into C3,C5 etc

=A1&","&" "&A2&" "&B2

Stew

"Fredgus" wrote:

OK, there must be a way to do this. I have a list of names in column A, each
name has a number after it in column B - I want to combine all the names into
cells based on the number after the name. Exmple:

I want this (imagine that it's two columns)
bob 1
david 1
ted 2
mike 2
linda 3
anne 3

to turn into this:

bob, david 1
ted, mike 2
linda, anne 3

I can do it, but it's about a dozen steps. Is there an easier way?