Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
filpass filpass is offline

Default How to limit the number of characters in a cell?

Hi Chip,

thanks for your reply!

your method works if I enter a new value (text), however if I copy/paste a
long value then it is accepted...

I am still stuck...

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use Data Validation from the format menu. In the Validation
dialog, choose Text Length in the Allow list and then choose Less Than
and enter the limit. The user will be able to type as many characters
as he wants, but it won't be accepted into the cell. A message box
will pop up informing the user of the error of his ways.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:04:19 -0800, filpass
wrote:

Dear Excel forum members,

I would like to limit the number of characters in a cell. How shall I do?

If a name is 50 characters long and I set up the limit at 30, will the 30
characters appear or will I receive an error message?

Thanks a lot for your help!