Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default How to create scatter plot

Well, if your raw data is organised as:

Column A - Call Type (e.g. D or Q)
Column B - Time of Call
Column C - Date of Call

then you would need another table elsewhere in the sheet to summarise
this data for each week - you would need 3 columns, one for time (in 1
hour intervals), one for the Ds and another for the Qs, and then you
could have a SUMPRODUCT formula to count the number of calls within
each interval for each type.

From this you can produce your graph.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 16, 10:32*am, Melissa
wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about that after posting the comment. *I think it would
be better if I have:
Y-axis: Time of day.
So it would look something like this:

* d * * *x
* d * * *x
* d
* * * * * x

* * * * * x
--------------x-axis
*Def *Que
Question is: how do I structure my data table to get this? *

"Pete_UK" wrote:
I would have thought that a stacked bar chart would be more
appropriate than an XY scatter. On the Y axis you would have the count
(number) and the X axis would be the time slots. So in text format it
would look like this:

* * * * * *d * * * * * *x
* * * * *xdxd * * * dxx
* * * * xxxxx * xxdxxdd
* * *xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

where the x might be for query and d for defect (not sure how this
will look when I post it).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 16, 9:56 am, Melissa wrote:
I am using Excel 2000.
I would like to create a scatter plot of Types of Calls received throughout
the day. *The end result is for me to see at what time of day are the various
types of calls concentrated in. Thus, the X-axis would be the 24-hour range,
starting from 00:00hr on left-end to 00:00hr on right-end. *
I don't know what should be on Y-axis. * but I do want my scatter dots to be
differentiated by Call Types. *

What is the best way for me to structure my data table, i.e. what columns do
I need?
I suppose at the minimum, I need these columns:
1. Call Type (e.g. Defect; Query)
2. Time of Call
3. Date of Call

I do not require the date of the call to be displayed in the scatter plot
but I do want to sum up all the calls received over the week for each hour of
the day.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -