Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GJS001 GJS001 is offline

Default create blank/empty cell - don't want a zero to be plotted in chart

Hi,

I am trying to plot data in a chart, and to not want the "blank" cells to be
visible. In the chart options, I have selected "Show empty cells as gaps".
However, setting the result of an if statement to "" which creates a blank
cell does not do it, as the cell is not truly empty (it contains a formula
whose result is a blank). Even copying the cell to another location using
paste special, and pasting only "values", with or without "skip Blanks" does
not do it.

In all these cases, Excel insists on plotting the results as zeroes. If I
manually go i and delete the contents of the supposedly empty cells, then the
gaps I am looking for show up in my chart. Unfortunately, I have thousands
of data points, and hundreds are empty - doing this manually would be a chore.

Am I overlooking something?