Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default How do I make a custom formula for Excel?

There are a variety of ways to create cums for budgets, depending on how you
have your workbook setup.

From your example, I would suggest the SUMIF function. Excel's help can
provide more insight, but something like

=SUMIF(A:A,"Gas",B:B)
Would give you a sum of all numbers in the B column where you had the word
"Gas" in the A column.

I'd also suggest looking up in the help file about freezing cells (so you
can always see budget line).
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"infamouswb" wrote:

I use excel for my checkbook register and I have a budget that "runs" beside
it to keep a monthly track of everything in the same worksheet. I want to
write a formula that would take, for instance, my gasoline purchases from the
checkbook, then place and continue to add up the monthly gasoline purchases
in the budget column. I know very little about formulas. Right now, I
manually add up all the rows that say Gas for the month and place them into
the budget line. I appreciate your assistance.