Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Vlookup for Column b

If you want to bring back a value that's in a column to the right of column B,
you can still use =vlookup().

=vlookup(1,b1:o10,2,false)
will bring back the value in column C if there's a match.

If you wanted to bring back any column (including column A), you could use
=index(match()):

=index(a1:a10,match(1,b1:b10,0))
to bring back a value from column A

or
=index(x1:x10,match(1,b1:b10,0))
to bring back a value from column X

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))
and
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

nataliemarylang8 wrote:

I have a very complicated exercise but I am changing it around so it is easier
What I have been using is the formula
=VLOOKUP(1,A1:O10, 2, FALSE)

This is looking up 1 in column a
What I want to do is be able to look up say 1 in column b
How would I do this
Also this is for a list of values would I be able to put a cell reference
say b2 instead of the 1 so I can copy the formula all the way down
thanks

--
Natalie

--